This past weekend, PS Publishing released Ian R. MacLeod‘s new anthology FROST ON GLASS. Here’s the synopsis…
In the title novella of this collection, a famous, creatively-blocked novelist faces exile or execution unless he can write a new story, and the theme of writing threads through the pages of this dazzling new collection.
The book contains eleven stories that explore strange pasts and new futures, plus non-fiction pieces drawn from the writer’s life, substantial commentaries on the origins and development of each of the stories, and a major new essay on how ideas are developed.
Both a magnificent gathering of fiction and a penetrating examination of the craft of writing, FROST OF GLASS memorably showcases and analyses the storytelling genius of Ian R MacLeod.
The cover for the anthology is of course above. Below, we have a photo from the book’s launch — Ian MacLeod reading from the anthology, with fellow Zeno client Ian McDonald listening intently…
Ian R. MacLeod is the award-winning author of a number of novels and short stories, including THE LIGHT AGES, THE SONG OF TIME, SNODGRASS and more. A number of Ian’s novels were recently released as eBooks by Open Road Media.
Here’s the full artwork for the FROST ON GLASS hardcover (click to embiggen)…
We’re very happy to share with you the details of Ian R. MacLeod‘s upcoming new collection, FROST ON GLASS. The book is due to be published by PS Publishing in spring 2015.
Alongside ten of Ian’s best recent stories (each bookended by afterwords by the author) and a selection of his non-fiction, the collection includes a brand new eponymous story – ‘a dystopian novella set on a writers’ commune’ – and also a new essay about ‘that perennial subject of where writers get their ideas from’. This substantial volume, Ian writes, is ‘a big, fat Christmas pudding of a book.’ The title, he continues, ‘reflects the delights and frustrations of writing fiction, which is a theme which runs through much of the rest of FROST ON GLASS‘. Here’s the provisional table of contents (which may change, slightly)…
- Introduction: Don’t Look Back.
- THE DISCOVERED COUNTRY — Afterword: Silver Machines
- HECTOR DOUGLAS MAKES A SALE — Afterword: A Cul-de-Sac in Los Angeles
- Foreword: Different Warts and All — A Truncated Life in Books
- THE COLD STEP BEYOND — Afterword: The Future isn’t Real
- A Concise and Ready Guide — Afterword: Bloody Dragons
- An Empty Grey Cell of One’s Own
- RE-CROSSING THE STYX — Afterword: On Being Dark
- THE TRAVELLER AND THE BOOK — Afterword: On Writing Rubbish
- I’ve Got This Idea For A Story…
- THE CRANE METHOD — Afterword: Rejection
- The Decline of the English Ghost story
- LETTER TO WILL — Afterword: Those Who Can’t…
- Me and the Mushroom Cloud
- TUMBLING NANCY — Afterword: Other Writers
- FROST ON GLASS — Afterword: Writer’s Block
- ENTANGLED — Afterword: Volcanoes and Dinosaurs
An exact publication date hasn’t yet been set, but we’ll be sure to share it with you as soon as we know. The same goes for the cover art, which is still in production.