Today, we just want to remind you all that Head of Zeus (via its Ad Astra imprint) is due to publish THE BEST OF WORLD SF, VOLUME 1 next month (April 1st)! Edited and curated by Lavie Tidhar, it’s a superb anthology of 26 short stories by SFF authors from around the world. Here’s the synopsis…
Twenty-six new short stories representing the state of the art in international science fiction, selected by Lavie Tidhar.
The Best of World SF draws together stories from across the spectrum of science fiction – expect robots, spaceships and time travel, as well as some really weird stuff – representing twenty-one countries and five continents.
Lavie Tidhar has selected stories that range from never-before-seen originals to award winners; from authors at every stage of their career; and a number of translations, including a story translated from Hebrew by Tidhar himself.
And here’s the substantial table of contents…
- ‘Immersion’ by Aliette de Bodard
- ‘Debtless’ by Chen Qiufan (trans. from Chinese by Blake Stone-Banks)
- ‘Fandom for Robots’ by Vina Jie-Min Prasad
- ‘Virtual Snapshots’ by Tlotlo Tsamaase
- ‘What The Dead Man Said’ by Chinelo Onwualu
- ‘Delhi’ by Vandana Singh
- ‘The Wheel of Samsara’ by Han Song (trans. from Chinese by the author)
- ‘Xingzhou’ by Yi-Sheng Ng
- ‘Prayer’ by Taiyo Fujii (trans. from Japanese by Kamil Spychalski)
- ‘The Green Ship’ by Francesco Verso (trans. from Italian by Michael Colbert)
- ‘Eyes of the Crocodile’ by Malena Salazar Maciá (trans. from Spanish by Toshiya Kamei)
- ‘Bootblack’ by Tade Thompson
- ‘The Emptiness in the Heart of all Things’ by Fabio Fernandes
- ‘The Sun From Both Sides’ by R.S.A. Garcia
- ‘Dump’ by Cristina Jurado (trans. from Spanish by Steve Redwood)
- ‘Rue Chair’ by Gerardo Horacio Porcayo (trans. from Spanish by the author)
- ‘His Master’s Voice’ by Hannu Rajaniemi
- ‘Benjamin Schneider’s Little Greys’ by Nir Yaniv (trans. from Hebrew by Lavie Tidhar)
- ‘The Cryptid’ by Emil H. Petersen (trans. from Icelandic by the author)
- ‘The Bank of Burkina Faso’ by Ekaterina Sedia
- ‘An Incomplete Guide…’ by Kuzhali Manickavel
- ‘The Old Man with The Third Hand’ by Kofi Nyameye
- ‘The Green’ by Lauren Beukes
- ‘The Last Voyage of Skidbladnir’ by Karin Tidbeck
- ‘Prime Meridian’ by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- ‘If At First You Don’t Succeed’ by Zen Cho
Lavie’s latest novels is BY FORCE ALONE, published by Head of Zeus in the UK and Tor Books in North America. His first novel for younger readers, CANDY, was recently published by Scholastic in the UK and Peachtree Publishing in North America (as THE CANDY MAFIA).
Lavie is also the author of the critically-acclaimed, award-winning CENTRAL STATION, UNHOLY LAND, THE VIOLENT CENTURY (published by Tachyon Publications), and A MAN LIES DREAMING (published in eBook by JABberwocky).
Head of Zeus are due to re-issue two of Lavie’s classic novels in the UK, next year: the World Fantasy Award-winning OSAMA and the Jerwood Fiction Uncovered Award-winning A MAN LIES DREAMING. (We’ll share more details — including cover art — on here as soon as we have them.)